As you may or may not know, I am not a Mac fanboy by any means. There are a few simple things I want from a phone/handheld computer and I'm finding that the iPhone is lacking in a few important areas IMO.
I'll make it simple & make a list.
(This list assumes that you're not jailbreaking your iPhone)
- Customizing notifications between different email accounts is not currently possible. I'm told with the new OS release in the fall it will be possible. In the mean time, your only option to customize alert sounds is Boxcar.
- There is no way to change photo naming format without resorting to changing the phone region format to United Kingdom or some other such nonsense. Of course changing the phone region to United Kingdom also makes the phone numbers you dial look mighty strange if you're not used to international phone number formats.
- Single click dialing of conference call phone numbers is not supported natively. Of course there is a $5 app for that, but if you put the conference call number in the 'Notes' section of the conference call, you can do a single-click-to dial.
- For the iPhone format the number to dial like this (leave off the last 'pound' sign)
- tel://+ 1-123-456-7890ppp123456
- For the Blackberry format the number to dial like this:
- (123)456-7890!12345# (this string can be anywhere in the conference call info)
Perhaps some of my gripes will indeed disappear with the new iOS 5 release in the fall. One can only hope.