Thursday, August 20, 2015

Introspection, Basic Truths and Transformation

”Be at least as interested in what goes on inside you as what happens outside. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place.” ~ Eckhart Tolle

I wouldn’t have ever imagined the personal transformation I would undergo as a result of beginning a yoga practice. Admittedly, I first came to yoga for superficial reasons. I had become bored of running and I was seeking a new challenge. What I found on the yoga mat was more than a butt-kicking workout. I found myself. I jokingly refer to the time spent on my mat as ‘forced introspection’. Taking 75 or even 90 minutes a day to turn inward and focus on the self, the breath, was not something I had done. As I faced each physically challenging asana with calm, measured breath, I also began to face myself and the choices I’d made with the same calm determination. “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” was starting to make sense. With each conscious decision, I was cultivating my own new reality. Turning inward each time I got on my mat was helping me clearly define the direction I was moving toward off my mat.

I marveled at how the simplest truths became profound when combined with a physical challenge I did not initially envision myself capable of achieving. Shifting my perspective allowed me to see that what I could or could not do was not bound to the past simply because things had always been that way. If I had the strength for wheel pose, I had the strength to manifest a new reality of my own choosing.

I have let the specter of judgement keep me hidden away for too long. I shied away from social media for fear of saying the wrong thing, or saying too much. Instead, I said nothing which might reveal the personal revolution I was undertaking. I will no longer be silent about what I think or how I feel. This journey has just begun, but I feel I must share my truth in this or else I will be incapable of sharing anything else.

I recently enrolled in a 200 hour yoga teacher training program so that I may give back some of the power of change and mindful, determined living into my new community. The experiences I’ve had through coming to my mat each day have been so profoundly rewarding, I am called to pay it forward.

Sharing my story allows me to blog again about Wi-Fi without me feeling that I’m not saying something which I feel needs to be said. We only get one go around in this life. I think it is of upmost importance to be mindful in one’s intentions and move from a place of authenticity.

Do not be surprised if you see more posts from me on this theme. I briefly considered starting a different blog to separate the technology from the spiritual but quickly rejected the idea. I think I would be doing everyone a disservice by compartmentalizing myself to suit an presumed audience. If I’ve written about cookies and cameras, why would I not write about the most meaningful choice I’ve made - to begin and continue a yoga practice.

It has been three years since I started this journey. I had no idea where it would take me when I began, but I am plotting a clear course for where I want to go.

---
My sincere gratitude to everyone I've crossed paths with at Breath and Body Yoga in Austin Texas, every single one of you have contributed to my growth. To all of the teachers at BBY: you are more powerful and influential than you could possibly know. You all deserve a shout out (in alphabetical order) Christine, Cynthia, Desirae, Diana, G’Nell, Jen, JessKat, Kate, Katie H., Katie O, KK, Laura, Lauren, LouiseMichael, Mindy, Natasha, Sami, Shannon. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment